The TomTom Via 1500 Sports a New 5" Wid Screen
The TomTom Via 1500 is the largest of the Via series of TomTom GPS navigation units.
The Via 1500 sports a ultra wide 5” color, touch screen which expands your map view. It includes the features that one would expect of a present day GPS with features like IQ Routing, text to speech and advance lane guidance you’ll be able to reach your destination without concern. I have see prices for the TomTom Via 1500 as low as $148 for these TomTom GPS units.
What’s In the Box
- Maps of US and Canada TomTom Via series comes with maps of the United States and Canada and Mexico. TomTom maintains that using their TomTom GPS maps, you’ll have access to one million more miles of mapped road in the US that you would using other GPS brands. Based on information available as of January, 2011
- Text to SpeechThe TomTom Via 1500 text to speech feature enables your TomTom GPS systems to not only tell you when and what direction to turn, but it will also tell you the name of the street on which you should turn. Helping you to keep your eyes on the road and not on the map.
- Map Share™ On-Demand UpdatesGet free map updates, as often as you like. Eighteen percent of the nation's road information changes every year. With TomTom's exclusive Map Share feature, you have the ability to update your own TomTom GPS maps instantly and/or download verified updates from other drivers.
- Don’t Miss You ExitHave you ever found yourself in the wrong land for an upcoming exit? The TomTom Via 1500 Lane Assist will get you in the correct lane for your upcoming exit so you won’t find yourself in the wrong lane. This feature is available in the US & Canada only.
- Automatic rerouting If you miss a turn or make a wrong turn your TomTom Via 1500 will get you back on track.
- Plug & GoSwitch on and go right out of the box. Just enter the address on the screen and start driving. Your TomTom GPS units will guide you door-to-door with spoken turn-by-turn instructions.
- Text to SpeechTomTom’s text to speech feature enables your GPS to not only tell you when and what direction to turn, but it will also tell you the name of the street on which you should turn. Helping you to keep your eyes on the road and not on the map.
- Latest map guaranteeStart driving with the latest TomTom GPS maps - guaranteed! If a new map for your device is available within 90 days of first use, you can download that map once for free via tomtom.com, please note you are only entitled to one free map download. Due to the continuous improvements in our map quality, some new maps may not fit on your device. In these cases, detailed Map Zones are offered for download. You can only use one Map Zone on your device at a time but it's easy and free to change to another zone at any time using tomtom.com. For more information on Map Zones click here.
- QuickGPSfixNo need to wait forever for your TomTom GPS systems to get a fix on your position before you can start navigating. With QuickGPSfix, your TomTom Via 1500 locates your first GPS position in seconds so you can get on your way quickly.
- Eco RoutesWith the cost of fuel what it is today anything you can do to save gas will save your big money. Driving with these more fuel-efficient routes saves you money as well as reducing your impact on the environment. Your TomTom Via 1500 can show you the route which has a lower environmental impact, using the driving data of millions of TomTom GPS users.
- Always the smartest, fastest route with IQ Routes™*IQ Routes is a proprietary feature of TomTom GPS systems. Despite posted speed limits, traffic traveling along a road at 8 a.m. moves at a different pace than it does at 2 p.m. Actual traffic speed is affected by rush hour, traffic light changes, pedestrian traffic, day of the week, and more. Only TomTom GPS systems offers exclusive technology that evaluates routes based on actual traffic speeds, rather than posted speed limits, and will recommend the fastest route for the time of the day. *Feature available in the US and Canada only.
- 5.0" Touch ScreenThe TomTom Via 1500 will expand your horizons with a 5.0” extra-wide touchscreen. A wide screen allows an expanded driving view and easier menu operation.
- Help Me! emergency menuTravel with peace of mind. Easily access local emergency providers such as police, fire stations, and hospitals. The “Where Am I?” feature pinpoints your exact location so you can accurately communicate it to emergency resources.
- Integrated mountingA convenient foldaway mount that’s integrated with your device, so it’s always there when you need it. It attaches easily to your windscreen. And using the optional mounting disk, you can turn it upside down and position it on your dashboard too, where the screen automatically flips to the right way up.
- Frequent destinationsYou can choose icons for your most frequent destinations and add your own text. This makes your navigation experience truly your own with even easier and quicker navigation to the places you go most often. Obviously if you travel with some frequency, you don’t need directions, however if you have live traffic, you may want to take advantage of this feature to check the traffic on your route.
- Millions of Points of Interest Over7 million points of interest help you find hotels, restaurants, gas stations and more with just a couple of screen taps you can navigate right to the selected location.
Note: The state of Minnesota prohibits the installation of portable GPS units on the windshield of your vehicle and California has restrictions on the location. Check with you local laws regarding the placement of your GPS.
- TomTom VIA 1500 GPS
- Fold and Go EasyPort mount, adhesive mounting disk
- USB cable
- Lithium-ion battery
- Car charger
- CLA socket
- Adhesive Dashboard Disk
- Owner's manual
Tom Tom Via 1500 Reviews
TomTom Via 1500
It's OK, but....June 29, 2011 Favorite features: Advanced Lane Guidance, Spoken Directions including street names, lifetime mapsI've had my VIA 1500 for 2 months. I've used it around town to get used to it, and also on a short trip. I like the unit except for one critical shortcoming: the touch screen is not user-friendly.When typing an addresses, the characters change slowly. I find myself duplicating letters because it takes so long to register the letter on the typing line. Browsing the map requires a quick motion, or you will get to the menu or some other option if you try to drag the map slowly. Changing volume is also difficult, since dragging the scroll tab has to be done quickly as well. It's difficult to get a precise volume setting when you have to make quick movements. Navigating to a point on the map is also difficult because it is hard to get the map to zoom in and then scroll the map to the location you want.Otherwise I like the unit. The navigation is good, the route options are good, and driving guidance is very good. I like the announcement of the street names, and it also gives the alternate names for those streets or highways that have multiple names.Would I recommend this unit to a friend? No. Not until they fix the touch-screen.
Nice but limited to one map!!July 18, 2011 Favorite features: Advanced Lane Guidance, Ease of Use, Spoken Directions including street namesThis device is easy to use, accurate and works well. The only problem that I have is that you cannot buy a second map for it!!!! They didn't tell me that little tidbit when I bought it. If I could get a second map I would have rated it a 5!!!!!
WalMartLacks Accuracy06/05/2011The TomTom Via 1500 was a disappointment. The most important feature of any GPS unit is good maps and accuracy of which the Via 1500 fails. I tested it over a two day period and that was all that was needed to render my fail verdict. Two POI's that have been in their current location for years were missed. The GPS put me a mile passed the one POI and about a half mile before the other one. Not acceptable when your in unfamiliar territory and need to be brought in front of your destination. With my old Garmin unit I NEVER encountered accuracy issues. And also not to mention my home street came up twice. Once with the correct name and the other with one wrong letter. Needless to say for some reason the GPS wanted to go towards the incorrect street name and wanted to take me a long way to home. So how many other errors are there like this???The 5" display was nice but is no where near as nice as the lower priced Garmin 1300LM. The Via 1500 display was kinda drab and the map colors didn't seem to have any reasoning behind them. For example, a waterway was indicated by a black/white line whereas on a Garmin unit water is always blue! pretty logical right?? well not on the TomTom.The interface is not very intuitive either. There are way too many screens one must click through to find the function you need.All in all I do not recommend this GPS unit based on the lack of mapping accuracy and the maps being drab and dull. The 1500 uses Teleatlas maps whereas the Garmin units use Navteq and there is a huge difference.I have owned a Garmin nuvi GPS unit for about five years and have always given it high marks. With several trips to NYC, Virginia, Baltimore, New Jersey, and a few other places which were all several hours away the Garmin always held a high degree for accuracy and instilled high level of confidence in me as well. No so with the TomTom Via 1500.No GPS is perfect and all some some map errors but the Via 1500 was way above the threshold for accuracy. I would recommend steering clear of the TomTom Via 1500 and look at a Garmin.PROS:- Nice form factor.- Voice and sounds are loud and really clear. Voice sounds natural.- Lane assist feature is nice.CONS:- Lacks accuracy- Display screen is drab and dull... feels clunky and menus are slow to change.- Costs more than other more capable units.
Good graphics and voice system07/08/2011The GPS unit has a great graphics and voice system with a variety of options to choose from. It also has an excellent lane guidance system. Overall, I am satisfied with the product and will certainly recommend to others.
Return from TomTom Via 1500 to Home
Return from TomTom Via 1500 to TomTom GPS